The world of ophthalmology is among the fastest progressing fields of medication. Never prior to have numerous scientific developments and new strategies emerged in such a brief amount of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which utilizes an excimer laser to improve the cornea, offers millions of people the chance to decrease or remove their need for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgery as the fast and pain-free method to remedy vision, but stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Before you opt to go under the beam, what can you do to assist ensure that you will enjoy with your results?
The essential to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an educated client. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a physician by getting recommendations from other physicians or from clients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be tricked by elegant ads about a specific laser. Choose the doctor, not the laser center. Discover who will actually do your procedure, then inquire about that physician's qualifications (e.g., board certification, special training).
3. Choose a physician who has actually done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a physician doesn't know can harm you.
4. Request for information on your doctor's LASIK eye surgery problem rates. If your medical professional will not tell you, find another one. For top cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask what measures are taken to avoid infection. Insist that your eye is thoroughly sanitized, and insist that the surgical instruments be decontaminated before your eye laser surgery to get rid of the danger of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
Be careful of ads pushing "low expense" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgery is as great as a discount rate parachute.
7. Anticipate to see extremely well after LASIK, however don't anticipate to see perfectly. Each patient gets a somewhat different result. The very best cosmetic surgeon in the world cannot ensure 20/20 vision. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as individual as each client. Beware of any physician who assures 20/20 vision.
8. If you seem like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. Go elsewhere. You're not buying a vehicle; this is genuine LASIK eye surgical treatment.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely provide better vision than LASIK. Ask your doctor about them and other recent advances.
10. While you examine, don't lose sight of the advantages: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has improved the vision of millions click this of people around the world.